N Stars Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limiting management of 100 door apartment complex

Go down

Limiting management of 100 door apartment complex Empty Limiting management of 100 door apartment complex

Post  Admin Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:54 pm

I'm considering buying a multi-family property with approximately 100 doors. The NOI, based on the forecast provided by the on-site management (extrapolated from previous years), is $220K, though this is after $60K in management overhead has been subtracted. (I don't want to get into due diligence on the accuracy of the figures; please take them as true for the purposes of my query. Grin)

I'm buying the property primarily for anticipated appreciation, and whilst the cash flow is nice, I have income from other sources. Far more important to me than maximum cash flow is for the property to be " as close to self-managing as possible" , as I live in Australia.

What I'd really like to do is install on-site management who'll operate the landlording business, so that all the landlording becomes their problem. I was thinking I could rent them the entire premises on a NNN lease for, say, $170K pa, and they sub-let, repair, pay property taxes etc, and keep any profits they're able to make. This would mean that if they achieve the forecast figures, they'd make $110K pa profit (net income if management fees taken out is $280K), and I'd get my $170K as a NNN payment with no hassle, and only my mortgage payment to make.

My questions are:

1) is this a common and/or legal arrangement in the USA?
2) is there a common terminology for such an arrangement?
3) in terms of risk/reward, how much do you think I could get for the NNN lease income on such a property - would my example of increasing the on-site manager's income from $60K to $110K be sufficient reward for the additional risk they take on with regard to vacancies and maintenance expenses?

Any other advice or suggestions?

Admin
Admin

http://community.n-stars.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum